Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Bizarro America

Ezra Klein notes the following over at his personal, non-TAPPED blog:
Every once in awhile, I tune into Limbaugh to hear what's being said over there, and it's like entering bizarro-America. The other day, the topic was how the Bush administration is a weak, kindly crew whose primary failing is an unwillingness to retaliate against opponents and a strangely accommodating attitude towards unreasonable Congressional demands. The difference between that characterization and my perception isn't a bridgeable argument -- we're talking about different realities.

Quite so. Recently I was on a radio show opposite Tammy Bruce, a syndicated radio host. We were talking about Iraq, and she began to argue that the problem with the Bush administration is that they're not killing enough people in Iraq. If we could just off al-Sadr and a few other bad guys, things would really turn around. This seems to be an emerging narrative in the wingnut world.

I have to admit that I lost my cool a little bit late in the interview, when Bruce argued that we went to Iraq because after 9/11, we had to defend ourselves. It was all I could do to keep from screaming, "Are you insane?!?" If you're curious, you can listen to the exchange here.

No comments: